Everything you ever wanted to know about Mobile Photography!
My Story: My passion for photography actually began with mobile photography when I just stepped in college. Back then I didn’t know anything about photography neither did I know that even a term like ‘Mobile Photography’ also exists!
Everyone is fond of clicking whatever the outcome may be, it’s kind of a moment captured which one can be relished later on! But hang on! Not everyone is a photographer, not anybody can bring out the special features of the shot.
In this scenario, Mobile Photography comes to rescue. Mobile phones in the form of pocket cameras are always the handiest option to freeze the good moments in real time, besides DSLRs which are quite heavy to carry around and demand high maintenance! Also, everyone cannot afford a DSLR but yes everyone owns a smartphone today.
A few days ago, early in the morning, while catching up on my routine jog, I hastened to click the picture of a beautiful peacock from my mobile phone, who was in its full bloom showing its feathers under the bright sunshine! The mood was surreal and the magnificent beauty of the shot is beyond my words. The shot secured a soft corner in my memory and in my smartphone!
I strongly believe that mobile photography has really democratized the field of photography. “ Selfie” the most popular, trending and the game-changing term, let mobile photography achieve an unimaginable level of success, influencing every living being on this planet.
Taking selfies with a DSLR is really not everyone’s cup of tea, also setting up a timer just to include yourself too in the frame turns out to be a time taking process, whereas with your smartphone you can click endless selfies with a single tap. So guys what are you waiting for? Don’t just sit back & hesitate, you wouldn’t be able to travel back in time!…. just freeze it.
Mobile photography lenses
With the gaining popularity of mobile photography, smartphone manufacturing companies have started focusing more on camera quality. Also, varied focal length mobile lenses are available in the market that can be easily attached on to the mobile camera to click various objects. Like for example Fish eye lens, wide angle lens, zoom lens, and macro lens.
- Fish Eye Lens: Fish eye lenses are extreme wide angle lenses with short focal lengths to create panoramic or hemispherical photos. Initially, they were developed for meteorological purposes but now they are used in various types of photography.
- Wide Angle Lens: Wide angle lenses are the most preferred and widely used lenses for almost all types of photography however, they are exceptionally great at capturing landscapes.
- Zoom Lens: Zoom lenses are mostly used by wildlife photographers, so that they stay on a particular spot, and click the pictures by only changing the focal length, to adjust the angle of view, without moving an inch.
- Macro Lens: A macro lens is used for capturing small subjects/objects from a very close distance, showcasing enhanced features/ details of the subject.
My Insider Tips & Tricks
Here is the complete guide to everything you ever wanted to know about Mobile photography, including insider tips and tricks :
- First of all, get this thing clear in your mind that you don’t need a flagship mobile phone to click a good shot! It all depends on how you see things & use your phone to create an appealing picture. Try to always use both your hands to hold your phone just like you would hold a DSLR. This will help you to focus better and will avoid the shakiness in pictures. Also, use only your thumb or the index finger to click a photograph.
- Use natural light as much as possible, try to move a little bit if the light is low or harsh and look for perfect lighting.
- Capturing a normal photo can be monotonous and photography is all about creativity. Try finding frames in nature. It draws the viewer’s attention to a particular point in the image which can prove to be really effective. The idea behind this is to choose a part of your scene to be the subject & then find a shape within the photo that will ‘hold’ it.
- The thing which matters the most is what actually the person wants to convey through the image and if the viewer gets the story behind your photograph then your work is done!
- The Rule of odds. Always try to include an odd number of people or things in your frame. Pictures with odd number subjects are more appealing than the even number ones.
- If you’re into street photography then you must know that streets have always been about stories. Capturing street life is not only interesting but it also paves your way for other genres as well. Covering streets makes you patient, improves your observation skills and every time you go on a street photo walk I bet that you would get something new to capture.
Mobile Photography Editing Apps
Different perspectives showcase different kinds of creativity. Thanks to those many mobile editing apps that you make your photos even more appealing or lets you correct some mistakes like the color correction, size of the frame and so on. Image editing apps have become so powerful with the time that if one really has the patience and the zeal to explore then mobile apps can turn pictures into great artworks.
I personally recommend Google’s Snapseed app for mobile editing which really has much to discover in it. Also, it is a very user-friendly app which lets anybody edit photos in it without facing any complexities. It has some really amazing tools like the healing tool which lets you heal the parts of photo which are degrading it.
It also has a tool named double exposure which lets you blend two images. The blending of two different worlds in one single image looks out to be magical. It’s a great tool to transform your normal clicks into a breathtaking artwork in the comfort of your mobile zone. The selective tool of this app lets you select the parts which you want to work on. Like for example you click a photograph where the light is perfect but you just want to darken some areas of the photograph, so you can select the area and lighten, darken or can even increase its sharpness through this tool.
Huji cam is another app on the list which is trending much now. It lets you click images with filters that give the image a 90’s effect.
VSCO app is also an editing app which has some really pretty warm shaded filters which are eye appealing. Also, it has been noticed that pictures with warmer shades gain more Instagram attention than the pictures with comparatively cooler shades.
Thank you for referring to my first blog “Everything you ever wanted to know about Mobile Photography”, I hope it was informative and inspiring in some way! 😉 Also, do not forget to leave your valuable feedback in the comment section below, your comments are indeed a great source of motivation, which will encourage me to write more on Photography.